Source: Focus on Religion, Office for National Statistics. Estimates in thousands.
You can find most religions in the UK. Almost three quarters of the British population are Christians (41 million people). This includes the Church of England, Protestantism, Catholicism, Orthodoxy and all other christian denominations. The second biggest group, consisiting of about 8.5 million people are people of no religion. The rest of the religions, which comprise a population of 3 million people, can be seen in the chart on the left.
Facts about religious populations in the UK
- Muslims are the youngest group. Muslims report the worst health.
- Unemployment rate is higher for Catholics than Protestants in Northern Ireland.
- Jews are most likely to be self employed.
- Sikhs are most likely to own their own homes.
- London and more specifically Harrow is the most religiously diverse areas. Outside London, Leicester is the most religiously diverse city.
Useful Links for Local Communities
Are you looking for specific information about foreign communities in the UK? Identify your country below and help yourself to our hand-picked links for local events, shops and organisations in the UK. We provide information about different countries and nationalities on demand, so, if your country is not listed below, please contact us with your request and we will publish useful links for the country of your choice.